Paul wrote his letter to the church at Colossae not long after he arrived in Rome as a prisoner. The letter served to correct false teaching in the church and to encourage right living among believers. Focus on verses 15-20, in which Paul described who Jesus is.
Paul’s teaching to the Colossians was important because the believers were trying to figure out what it meant to follow Jesus. They were struggling to understand the gospel and discern what is really true. These are the same questions we face as believers today: Who is Jesus? What is the gospel? What is true about God and about myself?
Keep these points in mind as you talk about this Bible story with your kids.
1. Jesus is the image of the invisible God. (Col. 1:15) If you want to know what God is like, look at Jesus. His life and teaching tells us what is true about God. He reflects God’s character. (See Heb. 1:3.) Jesus Himself said, “The one who has seen me has seen the Father” (John 14:9).
2. Jesus is Creator. (Col. 1:16-17) Because He created everything, He is in charge of everything—even invisible things! He controls and sustains all things. Because He is at the center, we can take comfort in Him even when life is hard.
3. Jesus is King. (Col. 1:18) The reality is that we live in God’s kingdom. If we live for ourselves instead of Him, we sin. Sin is rebellion against the King. We deserve to die for our sin, but the good news—the gospel—is that Jesus came to save sinners.
As you share with your kids this week, help them see Paul made much of Jesus because Jesus is better. Paul encouraged believers by reminding them that Jesus is great. Jesus is God’s Son, and He died on the cross to rescue people from sin. The gospel is true, and Jesus is all we need.
FAMILY STARTING POINTS
● Babies and Toddlers
- God is always with us.
- Jesus shows us what God is like.
- Paul said that Jesus made everything.
- God’s plan is all about Jesus.
- When should we tell others about Jesus? We should tell about Jesus all the time.
- Paul said that Jesus is most important.
- When should we tell others about Jesus? We should always tell others about Jesus even when it is difficult.
- Jesus is better than anyone or anything else.
No Comments to "Paul Made Much of Jesus"